In Samuel Leigh’s Panorama of 1829 (reproduced in 2015 in John Inglis & Jill Sanders’ ‘Panorama of the Thames’ published by Thames & Hudson), Bridge House appears as “Mrs Taylor’s”. Local historian John Cloake in his notes appended to the reproduction of Leigh’s Panorama (notes designed to be contemporary with 1829) stated “Known as Bridge House and dating from the late 1700s located on the south side of Ferry Hill it has been much enlarged”. (This should be late 1600s – see next entry).
The following extracts are taken from various books on the history of Richmond and from website entries – the dates are not all consistent:
John Cloake – Cottages & Common Fields of Richmond & Kew (p217)
Bridge House, as it was later known, by the south side of Ferry Hill, was built for himself by the then minister of Richmond parish Abiell Borfett, in the 1680s. In 1721 Moses de Medina, (nephew of Sir Solomon de Medina), moved there from his house on the north side of Ferry hill – perhaps trying to get a bit farther away from the “smoak filth & stench” emitted by the chimney of the Collins family’s new brewery at the foot of Water Lane.
jtrails.org.uk National Anglo Jewish Heritage trails
Bridge House lay on the other side of Bridge Street, across from Heron Court on what are now public gardens. Moses Medina (nephew of Solomon Medina and three times treasurer of Bevis Marks) lived at Bridge House from the 1720s to 1734, having lived previously at Moses Hart’s old house. Abraham Levy lived there from 1737-1753. Levy was a wealthy merchant of Houndsditch. The building was an attractive Queen Anne residence, immediately adjoining the east-side of the Bridge Street. In its later days it became a high-class tea house where terraces of elegantly attired and be-hatted ladies could be seen sipping their tea. It was also a gentlemen’s private hotel. In 1930 it was pulled down to make way for a small park with steps leading to the Richmond Landing Stage.
Mrs Arthur G Bell The Royal Manor of Richmond 1907 p 57
Above the bridge are several other historic mansions, including Bridge House, built by Sir Robert Taylor about the same time as Asgill house.
(Note: If Sir Robert Taylor, architect b1714, d1788, – was involved in the construction, it must have related to John Cloake’s reference above to it having been “much enlarged” )
Mariateresa Wright Vintage Richmond 1978 item 43
Bridge House. This was a fine 18th century building. After serving as the home of various notabilities, it ended its life as tea rooms – highly pleasurable in summer when tables were set out on the terraced garden above the river. By 1959 it was derelict.
A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 3
Parishes: Richmond (anciently Sheen)
Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911 (Pages 533-546)
There are some interesting houses near and above the bridge. One of them, originally Camborne House, but now called Northumberland House after Eleanor Dowager Duchess of Northumberland, who lived here in recent years, is let to the Richmond Club. Bridge House was built by Sir Robert Taylor about the same time as Asgill House. Ivy Hall was a residence of William IV when Duke of Clarence, and Gothic House was occupied for a short time by Madame de Staël. Bingham Villa, named after Lady Anne Bingham, who lived there, stands on the site of a small inn called the ‘Blue Anchor.’